Friday, October 16, 2009

a confrontation of justice

So I always have good intentions for updating this blog - and then get sidetracked by other things. But here I am again, after a season of backsliding... I have made a recommitment to blogging - I may need some follow-up at same point to make sure I keep to my decision, but in the mean time, here's a few thoughts :-)

I have spent the last few years rearranging my views on the world (or at least - having them rearranged)... I have realised that the gospel message is not about changing from one column to the next, from being 'in', instead of being 'out', but its about allowing God's Kingdom to come to earth. In other words, its about allowing God's desire for his creation to come about, in my life, and in my sphere of influence. God's desire for love, beauty, justice, truth, goodness... not a pressure to behave a certain way, but an invitation to be transformed, and to participate in God's transforming work in the world.

And in the midst of this revolution that I've been having, I have recognised that God challenges us to care for the poor and the broken-hearted. To seek justice for the oppressed. To spend our lives on behalf of those who need restoring, hope, change...

And this is a great idea isn't it? In fact, in some kind of way, this thing we call social justice has become a pop culture revolution. Everybody cares about Africa these days. It has even become cool for celebrities to adopt African children. What a funny thing.

But in strange sort of way, we fail to recognise that our way of life so often reinforces the oppression of those we profess to care about. We want to care, until it costs us something and then we don't want to care - at least not that much. We want our governments to do something about global poverty, until we hit a credit crunch and then we go back to looking after ourselves... and still what we call a 'crisis' (which is genuinely hard for many people - I do not mean to minimise this) is still far less serious then crises all over the world in places we can easily avoid if we want to...

Of course we could ask what business it is of ours to care so much about people in Africa or China or Cambodia... We could say that they all live a long way away and really have nothing to do with us. Perhaps we could find a way to justify saying that, if our coffee, clothes, shoes, appliances, furniture and most of the other things we rely on for a way of life were made without horrendous labour conditions, unfair trade, and in some cases, child labour.

So the gospel challenges us to consider this. And to consider this becomes very confronting doesn't it? Because when you really start to think about it, you realise that it becomes very inconvenient to think about it too much. When we start to think about the things that define us. The things that we simply 'have' to buy because otherwise we feel like we're falling behind. We have to fit in to the 'in-groups' and look cool, and keep up.. we have to get the new furniture, the new cars, the new house... because it is what makes us feel like we're ok. That we're making it.

When we think about it in logical terms we can easily recognise the injustice of the situation. But when it comes to the reality of it, it gets much harder doesn't it? When it means paying more money for something, or not getting that thing that you really want. How much do we really want change? How far are we really prepared to go to see a transforming revolution in our society?

This is the question that is bugging me. And so I thought I should share it. And I am interested in action. I am interested in changing the way I live. I am interested in challenging my assumptions and confronting my own selfish ambitions.

So I would like your thoughts. I would like your suggestions. I would like your critiques. I would like to see us do something. Please leave comments here to this effect...

And I'm interested in getting together to talk this through. I want to talk to people who are thinking about this kind of revolution and get some of us together to talk. To talk about how we go about changing. And some of you are probably already on the journey... So let me know if you're keen and lets get together.

peace.

michaeljamesfrost

6 comments:

  1. Just make you sure you include a boycott of Nestle on your ethical living list. Having seen first hand what they have done in the Philippines over the last 30 years, they are responsible for the deaths of thousands and thousands of Filipino infants. :-) (Go to www.babymilkaction.com)

    Rants aside, I think the social justice trend of late can be filed alongside the stop global warming trend, the eat organic vegetable trend, and the stop CEO's being paid so much money trend. Its a movement that's happening globally, but I think in many ways, NZ is actually further ahead of it than other countries, largely because of our very left leaning politics relative to the rest of the world.

    Trends unfortunately have a habit of coming and going, dying and rebirthing. This is a trend I hope stays around a little longer than most, as the consequences are more far reaching than most.

    Living ethically requires hard work!.. its not an easy conversion when the realisation of what it might actually entail dawns. Personally, I'm half way there, for the fact that the amount of effort it actually requires can become consuming, and i'm not sure that this should be the focus of all my energy. I still believe that I should live as ethically as possible, just within the balance of reality and ideology.

    Of course, it's interesting to see how committed you are to pop-bandwagons when other issues of life and death come into the picture. Being diagnosed with cancer makes you re-prioritise, and is a good test of what is actually a bandwagon, and what is important.

    My two cents :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good thoughts.
    I have realized the same and came to the conclusion that we all have the same problems... we are born into an 'evil' world and we ALL do wrong... we have sinned and we'll continue to do so. Some more some less. That's part of us.
    So how can we do 'good' things, help others, bring righteousness, stop sinning etc...?
    I cried to God and asked him for help and to overcome what you are writing about... I like to care for others but as soon it costs me something more than I expected... I fail again.
    For now I think God tells me: YOU never can do it.
    We need God's anointing, call, holy spirit what ever u like to call it... and then we will be successful in doing good.
    Stephan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not in class with you this week sorry. But always keen to talk this sort of stuff. The more you think about it the more it messes with you in a really full on way but a really good way. We have so far to go to truly get our head around the way of the kingdom!

    Side note: A Life Stripped Bare is worth a read. Also well worth watching Eco Trip on the living chanel every Sunday night. Get someone to record for you if you don't have Sky.

    Peace: Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  4. I both love and hate what you're saying
    Love it because it really does frame our practical outworking of Kingdom living, the gospel at the most ground level real way.
    Hate it because it is a direct challenge to severely adjusting and re-arrange so much of what props up the ins and outs of our everyday living, which I think I'm not attached to or secure in, but on honest examination I am
    BUT committed to also being on a journey, not of convenience but towards truth and right living. Keep communicating
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree more Michael. If you haven't already, read an article by Leander Keck entitled "The Premodern Bible in the Postmodern World" - Interpretation, Vol. 52.4 Oct. 98 p130-5 - It gives a passionate account of the need to view the Bible in a new way. He embraces the challenges of a postmodern view and endorses the move away from the controlling arm of modern theology in the following ways:
    Firstly, to stop worrying about the bible (creation/evolution, primitivism, mythological characteristics, power in canonisation) and start worrying about ourselves, holding the bible as a mirror to see and ultimately understand ourselves better.
    Secondly, stop using the bible for our own means and justification, limiting its ability to question, interrogate and confront us. Instead start living with it, allowing it to change and transform us, opening our eyes to its truth by being part of our psyche.
    Thirdly, stop telling the bible what it means through our own reason. Instead, staying true to our modern intellect, embrace its textual richness and mythology as a means to encourage growth and understanding.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. michael, you are a legend. i am very blessed to be on this journey with you. i value your real care for meaningful conversations (questions, frustrations, idea's...). and am inspired that through these things and your relationship with the lord, you are actively seeking change in your life. i feel very welcomed by you.

    just wanted to give some props and encouragement to ya man. i am quite early on this journey myself... and am excited about growing in understanding our world and wrestling with what part i can play to help bring God's kingdom here.

    much respect brotown.

    jono.

    ReplyDelete